Rockwood Park arguing
Planners have recommended that some development be allowed along the edge of lands citizens have often referred to as Rockwood Park.
There are citizens who aren’t keen about this that have given their opinions.
I know there are strong minds working on the issue, and I know there are some strong opinions at work too. Still, these planner and these citizens disagree, and hopefully a positive resolution can be found.
While I personally hope that the rambling woodland in the city’s north end is left to be used by adventurers and exercisers of all ages, I’m not sure its going to work out that way. Still, with a healthy debate – likely a spirited back and forth (though I doubt city hall has to call in the police like they already have on this issue) – I’m hopeful that a solution that isn’t too garish might emerge.
However, a black cloud over this hopefulness comes from council.
The mayor has once again decided to battle “rumours” about the park that he brings into the council chamber (link to previous example). This time, Court attacked the straw man argument that the park might be developed with a hotel.
While citizens might not want a hotel built in the park, it is a mistake to think that by not building a mega-structure that citizens will be comforted. It’s not these supposed rumours that have upset opponents.
Edit (Additional Comment):
Another issue the TJ quotes Court as "addressing" is that the buildings that will be built in this area won't have vinyl siding. I do not think most opponents of the bulldozing of what was once thought to be park land are overly concerned about siding.

No comments:
Post a Comment