Sunday, January 4, 2009

Red Whale: KV's urban hotspot

Not long ago the Telegraph Journal had a commentary suggesting that the city of Saint John's tax rate was making it a place that was not very desirable for prospective citizens.  I am one of the people who would counter this sort of argument with a rebuttal like "the city is a more lively fun place with lots of cool things to do, so a high tax rate shouldn't scare you away."


The flaw in that argument is that right now I'm sitting in Rothesay, typing and sipping coffee in a pretty full cafe, where people are chatting studying and surfing the web.  The Red Whale cafe offers an urban feel for those in the only town in Greater Saint John  that has pledged a lower tax rate for 2009.  Meanwhile, if I wanted a place to sit and study in Saint John I would have to stay home or go to a chain coffee shop with no wifi, and a lot less activity.

Saint John needs to offer something more than lower tax areas if we hope to attract more citizens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually what you are describing can be found any work day at Java Moose on Prince William Street uptown. My only pet peave is that they close at 5:00 on weekdays.

Little Brother said...

For sure JN provides just this, just not into the evening. I guess their business model doesn't support it, but I wish it did.

Little Brother said...

I'm hearing rumour of a Starbucks moving into the uptown. I wonder what their hours will be.

Custom Search



About Me

My photo
This is the account used for updating the Urban Plans for Saint John Blog.