I’ve posted before about churches that have sold and what has come of them. An article in The Globe and Mail delves into what a United Church congregation has done with the proceeds from selling their historic church building.
After spending some time and effort to sell the historically designated church building for almost $4 million, the congregation has donated funds to a theological school at U of T and more funds to various mission funds including to a social justice charity run by the United Church of Canada. The church has also been able to donate musical instruments and other church property to other groups in the community.
I grew up in a church that is now seeing dwindling attendance and shrinking funds. I know from relatives who still belong to the congregation, that moving out of the building would be a heartbreak for many who grew up in the community. If the church could get a good price for their building, perhaps leaving a positive legacy through giving would ease some of that feeling of loss.
No comments:
Post a Comment